Video Gait Analysis

Video Gait analysis has been progressively used to assess a person’s movement sequence keeping in mind the end goal to help with diagnosing pathologies, enhancing sports execution as well as checking therapeutic interventions, for example, gait retraining or footwear changes. The instruments fused into Dartfish high speed video analysis programming enables observers to playback in slow motion, amplify, and control the video image in order to do such things as calculate joint angles and get various measurements. A current review demonstrated that the unwavering quality of gait parameter information was higher with Dartfish software than with standard video programming that did not have these apparatuses. 

Video_Gait_Analysis

 

A professional level gait analysis includes considerably more than viewing a video of gait. A point by point clinical exam would likewise incorporate muscle strength and balance testing, static and dynamic scope of-movement measurements, footwear assessment, detailed injury and medical history and an audit of the athlete’s training program. This would, as a rule, be done preceding the video gait analysis.

The Gait Cycle

The gait cycle begins when the foot contacts the ground and finishes when a similar foot contacts the ground on the following stride. The two noteworthy components of the gait cycle are the position stage and the swing stage. These cycles might be further broken down into key focuses, for example, starting contact, mid-stance, toe-off for each side.

The stance phase of gait refers to the point in the gait cycle where the foot is in contact with the ground. In typical walking, stance starts at the heel and moves to the toe and keeps going around one second. A walker lands with 1-1.5 x bodyweight.

The swing phase of gait happens after the foot leaves the ground until the next foot contact occurs. The leg is swinging forward and preparing for the next foot strike. Variations from the norm or asymmetries in swing stage may show an issue during contact that is being made up for while the leg is in the air.

Walking versus Running: In walking gait there are periods when both feet are in contact with the ground all the same time and at least one foot is dependably in contact with the ground at any given time. In running gait just a single foot contacts the ground at a time and there are periods where neither one of the foot is in contact with the ground.

Running gait is more variable. 80% of runners land on their heel when in shoes, and the remaining 20% of runners land either on their mid or forefoot. The foot is in contact with the ground for one tenth to five tenths of a moment while the runner is landing with 2.4-3.0 times their bodyweight. Overuse injuries to the lower furthest point are regularly brought about during the stance phase of gait.

Barefoot running versus running in shoes: It has been well documented that people move differently when unshod, so contrasting unshod running gait to gait in shoes resembles contrasting one type with a totally different type. Walking barefoot gives a benchmark assessment of a subject’s weight bearing useful movement pattern and is an essential part of any analysis. Anyone will quickly observe that it is considerably more difficult to confidently access the alignment of the foot once it is covered by a shoe – even with high speed and stop-motion video.

At Alexander and Farrell Podiatry, we offer a video gait analysis.

Back to Top